” When we recognize that nothing has to go right for us to be happy, that people do not have to behave for us to love them, our walk home can be surprisingly simple. We have enormous power not to manipulate the world, but to be happy and to know peace.”- Hugh Prather
There have been so many times in my life where I thought that certain people and situations have to turn out a specific way so that I can finally reach the ultimate feeling of what we call ‘ being happy’.
Something like this…….
I will be happy if I finally:
- Get an internship because I’ve been applying for months
- Figure out what I am going to do after I graduate
- Afford to get a cute little apartment all to myself with a view of the city lights
- Get straight As in all my courses in a semester
- Have a long term relationship
- Find a job which allows me to travel the world whenever I want
- Get a salary raise because I’ve been working really hard
Yes, these events happening will surely make us happy and maybe happier than we’ve been but I guess it would just mean that we are not living in the moment but constantly dreaming of the future. We fail to appreciate awesome people and situations already staring at us with excitement in the present and making our life brighter than it’s ever been.
What I fail to be grateful for sometimes:
- I have a positive working environment at my part time job that allows me to meet down to earth people of my age but which also is so much FUN!
- I might not be getting straight As in all of my classes but I am grateful for my parents’ financial and general support towards a good education because of which I am able to study abroad and have one of the best adventurous experiences someone could ask for
- I haven’t figured out what my plans are post-graduation but I do appreciate the quality of education I am getting right now which would help me secure a great job in the future
- Awesome people in my social network here (friends & siblings)
And the list goes on and on….
My point is; I guess we should stop looking for something to be happy about and spending our whole life trying to find solutions to our problems and just live in the now and appreciate the people who give you a million reasons to enjoy life right now. As the quote summarizes it perfectly; maybe nothing has to go right for us and nobody in our life has to behave in only a certain specific way for us to be happy and at peace.
I know it’s not easy but we have to start somewhere I guess and one tip I’ve learned and tried to incorporate in my daily routine is to find at least 3 things that I am grateful for before I go to sleep. It might not sound like much but looking at the brighter side of things gradually makes everything better and easier to cope with.